Also commonly known as event greening, sustainable event management is basically the technique used to promote an event whose subject matter relates to social, environmental, and economic issues and concerns. The main motive of this kind of an event is to make sure that all decisions made and steps were taken in the campaign hosted is sustainable. The entire event is planned, organized and executed in a very cohesive environment where event greening is the main theme. It involves everyone related to the event be aware, conscious and implement the idea of a green event in the present event being hosted. For various event planners, the sustainable event has different meanings.
The various breakdowns of sustainable event management is given as follows:-
- Waste is minimized as pollution is less. The required resources for executing the entire green event are much less.
- Local suppliers are used who are reliable. These are the suppliers who work keeping “green” as their work theme. Such events give the society and the community a positive impact.
- These events encourage other planners and other event management companies to adapt to the sustainable management method of work.
For sustainable event management undergo these steps:-
- Monitor and Evaluate – Every event conceptualized in the lines of the green theme must be monitored for growth. Firstly one must have an in-depth plan of action. This will help understand whether all information needed has been gathered. These are information and data related to pre-execution of the event, during the event and post-event. For example, one such data needed is the predicted amount of water needed in the event, how much water has been used and whether green event saved resources and by what quantity? These evaluations will aid in making the next green event even more eco-friendly.
- Large Events – As far as large events are concerned, one have to make an independent report which is in compliance with the GRI or the Global Reporting Initiative. The GRI offers guidelines for organizations, sets out the principles, discloses the approaches to be followed and indicates the proposed performance parameters keeping social, economic and environmental issues in mind.
- Steps to be Covered:
a) Selection of the site where event will be held.
b) What mode of transportation will be needed by the attendees?
c) Hire the workforce behind the event
d) Evaluate the impact of the event on the nature,community and economy on a local and global scale.
e) Forthcoming legacies that will be created
f) How much is the event accessible by people?
- Green decisions – From the point of view of event planners, certain decisions can further promote sustainable event management. For example, if bottled water usage is stopped in all events for around a year, then it will impact positively on the total number of bottled water consumption in the locality annually. This power lies in the hands of the event planner. If carefully planned, one can change save the resources used in an event in a much more economical manner.
- Save paper – It is not always needed to use paper and make promotions of the forthcoming event. Online booking and digital services are accessible to all today and this can save one a lot of paper.
So, if one is involved in the event industry one must make no delay or haste in adapting to such kind of green events. This thought applies to all kind of events. One can not only make an event sustainable but also successful.
To learn more about how event apps can help your business in event management, call us or visit at Grupio.